Lębork

Town


Town Hall in Lębork

Distance

30 km NV, 35 km NE, 47 km SE, 52 km SV, 52 km S, 58 km SE, 62 km E, 67 km SE, 75 km SE

Population

36.925 (2004)

Location and history

Lębork is located in eastern Pomerania, 83 km northwest of Gdańsk. The city, which is flooded by the river Łeba, is today characterized by a beautiful, modern architecture, but at the same time the medieval town plan is preserved along with significant remains of the old defenses. In the city center, take a stroll on Staromiejska Street with its many shops, art galleries and exhibitions.
In the early Middle Ages, this Slavic settlement bore the name Lewino and belonged to the prince who ruled over eastern Pomerania (Pomorze Gdańskie). According to an early note, Lębork was a city as early as 1285. A document from 1341 testifies that Lębork was granted market town rights at this time. 1310-1454 belonged to the city under the Crusader State. For the next 200 years, the city alternately belonged to the Polish state and local princes. In 1657, the Polish king renounced the city to Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg. In 1773, in connection with the division of Poland, Lębork was incorporated into the province of Pomerania, where the city remained until 1945. On March 10, 1945, Lębork returned to Poland.


Lot from the city center

Tourist attractions

Despite the city's changing history, several valuable and interesting building monuments have been preserved. These include: St. James's Church from the transition between the 14th and 15th centuries, remains of the 14th-century city wall, the 14th-century Fortress Baszta Bluszczowa, the Crusader Castle from the 2nd half of it 14th century, the mill and the so-called Møllerhus (Dom Młynarza) from the transition between the 14th and 15th centuries, the salt warehouse of the 16th century, the town hall from 1900, the post office from 1905 and the Maria church from the 2nd half of the 19th century.

St. James's Church
is one of the oldest and most valuable buildings in the city. The building of the church sometimes dates to 1345, but it is not known for certain. It is a Gothic brick building. To the west rises the square tower, where you will find the main entrance of the church, which is decorated with a pointed arch. The side walls have large pointed arched windows. Inside, the main building is divided into 3 ships using octagonal columns. The altar is from the Baroque era, while the pulpit is in Rococo style.

Bymuren
Lębork is one of the few cities in Pomerania that has well-preserved parts of the medieval defense walls. Construction of the city wall began in 1341 and the construction was completed around 1363. The total length was 1220 meters. The city's fortification included 32 towers and half towers, including corner towers, two gates: Brama Gdańska and Brama Słupska, as well as 2 smaller access doors. The city wall was 6 feet high.


Part of the city wall

Baszta Bluszczowa included in its construction as a corner tower in the city wall. The tower was built approx. 1363 and it is especially valuable because it is preserved in its original form.

Crusader fortress
The castle was built in the southeast corner of the built-up area. The castle existed as early as 1363 and was the seat of the city's first district leader under the Crusader Order. The Lębork district was subject to the Gdańsk comet. The order building – the second largest in the then Crusader state – has been preserved. However, several later remodels have changed the original appearance of the castle. In the south wall is the outline of pointed arched windows. Characteristic elements are also the Gothic staircases and the square staircase built into the shape of a tower in the northern part of the castle in 1575. Today, the castle is the seat of the district court in Lębork.


Street in the center


City Hall

Surrounding Area

To the south of the city is the large forest area Puszcza Kaszubska.
Lubowidz : 5 km east of the town, at Lake Lubowidz and near large wooded areas is the well-visited resort of Lubowidz.

Accommodation

Booking.com
Lębork.pl. Miejski Serwis Internetowy City official site in Polish, English and German

Eating Out:

Lębork.pl. Miejski Serwis Internetowy City official site in Polish, English and German


Motif from the city center with one of the bridges over the river Łeba

Links to other pages

Lębork.pl. Miejski Serwis Internetowy City official site in Polish, English and German

East Pomerania

Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.

Map
Lębork
Rating
This place is particulary interesting:
Good Must see

Search for accommodation
Booking.com
Search


Denne side er også tilgængelig på dansk. This page and contents is (c) Copyright 2018- www.spangshus.dk. Based on Inviator software by ISCA Software