Krotoszyn

Town


Gałecki Mansion in Krotoszyn. – Photo by: Sławomir Milejski [CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Distance

Milicz
24 km SV, 29 km SE, 33 km N,
Pleszew
39 km NE, 44 km NV, 46 km V, 52 km NE, 56 km SV, 72 km S, 79 km NV, 87 km SV, 102 km NV, 119 km V

Population

29.627 (2011)

Location and history

Krotoszyn is located in the southern part of the Wielkopolska region in western Poland.
The settlement is mentioned with the Latinized name of Crotochino in a document from 1282. In 1414 a town was founded near the village of Krotoszyn. The city was destroyed several times by fires and wars, but each time rebuilt. During the 18th century, the city became known for its large markets, which included were beef markets. In 1793, at the division of Poland, Krotoszyn came under Prussian rule. In the 19th century. and the beginning of the 20th century. considerable development of industry and crafts in the city occurred.

Tourist attractions

Selected attractions:

City Hall
The square was built in 1689, burned in 1774, but rebuilt and increased by one floor. The town hall was rebuilt in 1898-99 and now appears in 3-storey neo-Renaissance style with small corner towers. The octagonal baroque tower has elements from the original building. The basement dates from the original building, and here were former prison cells.

The Church of John the Baptist
in the late Gothic style from 1592-1597 with a square floor plan tower.

The Abbey of the Trinitarian Order
in Baroque style with a monastery building and a monastery church, both from the 18th century.

Wooden Churches
There are 2 wooden churches in Krotoszyn:
Saint Fabian and Saint Sebastian's Church of 1572 was originally built as a hospital church. The wooden church has a shingle and a dome.
The Church of Mary Magdalene from 1755 stands in the district (formerly the village) Stary Krotoszyn (Old Krotoszyn), whose name the town has taken over.

Rozdrażewski and Gałecki Mansion
Built in 1585 by Jan Rozdrażewski. The later owner, Franciszek Gałecki’In 1725, his daughter sold the castle to Józef Potocki, the Crown's Great Man. The mansion is now a school and the castle park is the city park. (See photo at the top of the page).

Surrounding Area

landscape Park
To the south, just a few kilometers to the border of the Barycz Valley Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Dolina Baryczy), established in 1996. The river Barycz has its outlet in Odra. In the park there are several nature reserves and the plant and animal life is very rich; Among other things, the black stork has a home here. In the park area is a very large complex of fish ponds.

Accommodation

Booking.com
Krotoszyn – with versions in a very large number of languages. With practical information for tourists

Other Internet sites and sources

Krotoszyn – with versions in a very large number of languages

Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.

Map
Krotoszyn
Rating
This place is particulary interesting:
Good Must see

Search for accommodation
Booking.com
Search


Denne side er også tilgængelig på dansk. This page and contents is (c) Copyright 2018- www.spangshus.dk. Based on Inviator software by ISCA Software