Rumia is located in northern Poland, in Wejherowo district, the Pomeranian region. The city is a suburb of Gdynia and thus forms part of the large built-up urban area of Gdańsk, called Trójmiasto (Tree City – ie Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia).
Rumia is referred to as a Kashubian city, that is, it is located in the area where part of the population serves the regional language Kashubian.
Together with Reda and Wejherowo, the city forms the so-called Little Kaszubian Treby (MałeTrójmiasto Kaszubskie).
Excavations have shown a settlement at this site from the 6th to the 4th year. BCE, ie the early Iron Age. In a document from 1223-1224, the village of Rumina is given to the Cistercian monastery in Oliwa as property. The village was owned by the monastery until 1772. From 1939 to 1945 Rumia was occupied by Germany. During the defense in the first days of the war, approx. 2,000 Polish soldiers. During the liberation in 1945, approx. 4,500 Polish and Soviet soldiers. Rumia gained market town rights in 1954 – after merging 5 villages.
As a relatively new city, Rumia does not have many older building monuments.
cactus garden (Kaktusiarnia)
This special botanical garden includes the largest collection in Europe of plants of the cactus family. in a larger number of greenhouses.
St. Michael's Church
The ruins of this Gothic church, preferably the walls around the choir as well as parts of other walls.
The Church of the Virgin Mary of the Believers
In this church, organ concerts are held on the 24th of each month.
To the east, Puck Bay (Baltic Sea) is approximately 10 km away.
Immediately northwest and west of the city are large forest areas.
Through the city, highway # 6 (E28) runs from Gdańsk to Szczecin.
h3. Other Internet sites and sources
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.