Buchholtz Mansion in Supraśl
The small town of Supraśl is located northeast of Białystok surrounded by the large forest complex “Puszcza Knyszyńska” (Knyszyn jungle). The city was founded over 500 years ago. In the years between 1834 and 1856, several German industrialists moved to the site, such as FWZachert, A. Buchholtz, F.Aunert and J.Jansen. Not least because of their efforts, there was a development of the textile industry in Supraśl. Several building memorials, including the Evangelical Church, the Buchholtz family’s New Gothic Chapel and the Zachert family’s mausoleum testifies to this German connection. Today, the town and municipality are predominantly agricultural; no significant industry exists. In the vicinity, in the Knyszyn primeval forest, there are 18 protected natural areas. Supraśl is located in the ecoregion “The Green Lungs of Poland”. In 1995, Supraśl entered the competition as the most ecological municipality in the Podlasie region. On December 28, 2001, the city was granted the right to the term kurby (uzdrowisko). The spa town's profile – according to specialists – is the treatment of elderly people, of rehabilitation centers and of children in the area of respiratory diseases etc.
The Abbey of the Basilius Order : Supposed to be listed 1503-1511. The complex was blown up by the Germans in 1944. From 1985, the buildings are being reconstructed. Centrally located is the Orthodox church building, surrounded on three sides by Baroque-style monastic buildings. Access to the complex is via a gatehouse, built in 1752 according to the pattern of the gatehouse found at the Branicki Castle in Białystok.
Buchholtz Palace , built in 1892-1903 is an original 2-storey building (with a floor plan like the letter L) that harmoniously combines features of the French, Dutch and Italian Renaissance with classicist style. Inside is A. Buchholtz’s office, banquet hall with oak ceiling and staircase preserved in good condition. Today, the local artisan school is housed in the mansion.
Church of the Holy Trinity , built 1861-65 in eclectic style.
The Evangelical Church , built 1885 (by the local inhabitants called “kircha”); it was a branch of the Evangelical-Augsburg Church in Białystok.
The Evangelical Cemetery probably founded in 1840’s. Here are the artistically executed memorials of the Buchholtz and Zachert families.
The Catholic Cemetery founded at the end of the 18th century.
Weaver houses . One-story wooden houses, built in 1830’the 1840s’the land on the grounds rented by their employers at WFZachert and inhabited by these local home weavers.
Supraśl – with practical information for tourists
Other pages about Supraśl:
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.