The city gate of Brama Chełmińska (Chełm Gate) and Mały Rynek (Lilletorv) in Brodnica. – Photo by: Kazimierz Mendlik, Brodnica, Mały Rynek, Brama Chełmińska Po pravej widok budynku US, Inspectorate – panorama, CC BY-SA 3.0
Brodnica is located in the eastern part of Kuyavian-Pomeranian County, northeast of the major cities of Toruń and Bydgoszcz. The town is today on both sides of the river Drwęca, an important right tributary to Wisła. However, the original town, the old town, is on the right bank.
The Crusader Order bought the later urban area in 1303 and from 1305 built a castle here. The first historical note on the site dates from 1298. The first record of a parish church (St. Catherine's Church) is dated in 1310, but construction of it began in the late 13th century.
Building attractions include:
Church of Saint Catherine
from the end of the 13th century. and the beginning of the 14th century.
The ruins of the crusader castle from the beginning of the 14th century, of which the castle tower is fully preserved.
Parts of the medieval city wall from the 14th and 15th centuries, including the Brama Chełmińska and Brama Mazurska gate towers.
Brodnica (in Polish, English, German, French, Czech and Russian)
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.