Kruszwica is closely associated with Polish history and several legends and myths attach to the city. Kruszwica is located in central Poland, more specifically in the southern part of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian region of Lake Gopło. Via Kruszwica, the old trade route, called the Ravvejen, led from the Adriatic to the Baltic Sea. The Polish areas contributed to the trade in raw materials such as amber and salt. The choice of the city where the city was founded was not accidental, as the city was located on Lake Gopło, which included it in the sailing route Warta-Gopło-Wisła and by its location was almost predestined to become a major trading center.
Archaeological investigations have shown traces of settlement at this site dating back to the Stone Age. From approx. In the year 500 BCE, there has been a fortified city on the Rzepowo Peninsula. During the first centuries of our time, this settlement was greatly expanded.
During the 10th and 11th centuries. Kruszwica became a major urban center, located around a castle. Kruszwica was the residence of both Polish princes and kings and was of great importance for the political and economic consolidation of the Polish state.
In the second half of the 11th year. After the transition to Christianity, three churches were built: St. Vitus Church, Church of Our Lady and Church of St. Klemens. In 1271 the town burned, which is why the beginning of the 14th century. went with rebuilding. For a short period in the 1330s, the city was in the hands of the Crusaders. Following the peace in Kalisz in 1343, Kazimierz the Great erected a foundation-walled castle (including the well-known “mouse Tower”), which should be the seat of the local authorities. In 1422, the city was granted commercial property rights by King Kazimierz the Great. The Swedish attacks on Poland had disastrous consequences for Kruszwica. By the partition of Poland (1772), the city was incorporated into Prussia. The city underwent considerable development during the interwar period. After World War II, the food industry in particular developed.
Today, many tourists come to visit the beautifully situated city with the fabulous sights.
The name of the city comes from a word that means “salt lump”, referring to the local salt mining in the Middle Ages.
The castle ruin with “mouse Tower” (Mysia Wieża).
Along with part of the walls, the former castle tower, called the Muse Tower, remains of the late Gothic castle building, erected around 1350 by Kazimierz the Great to replace the former fortification. The tower is octagonal with a height of 32 m. From the top it offers a nice view of the city and the lake. – The name The Mouse Tower derives from the legend of the evil prince Popiel; after one of the princes' weeks, his subjects revolted; he sought refuge in the castle tower, where, along with his wife, he was eaten – alive – by an army of mice that entered the tower.
St. Peter and Paul's Church
in the Romanesque style is from 1120-1140.
The old Town
with square and protected townhouses.
Gopło Kiss (Jezioro Gopło)
The lake has arisen in a tunnel valley from the ice age. The valley has a length of 25 km and the depth of the lake is a maximum of 16.6 m, while the width is up to 2.5 km. In 1967, a nature reserve was created around the lake. In summer you can sail on the lake with the tourist boat “Rusałka”.
Kruszwica – in Polish, English and German, with practical information for tourists
Kruszwica – in Polish, English and German
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.