Iewiebodzice is located in southern Poland, in the Lower Silesian region, southwest of Wrocław.
The city is located between 280 and 425 meters above sea level, just northeast of the Góry Wałbrzyskie (Wałbrzych Mountains).
The town is first mentioned in 1203. It is known that Wroclaw Diocese of Wawrzyniec inaugurated the Church of St. Nicholas in 1228. In 1242, a princely castle in Świebodzice is mentioned. Commercial rights gained the town at some point before 1279. Świebodzice was incorporated into the Principality of Jawor-idwidnica in 1293. The city and the entire principality came under Czech rule in 1392.
The Czech king Vladislav II Jagellonský sold in 1509 Świebodzice and the castle Książ to Konrad Hochberg, who was one of the richest genera in Silesia. During the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) the city was looted by the Swedish troops.
From 1745 Świebodzice was part of Prussia. In 1843 the Wroclaw-iewiebodzice railway line was opened. In 1847 Gustav Becker founded a watch repair shop, where he also made watches. From 1850 his workshop developed into a large watch factory, and his watches became known around the world. The factory operated until 1935.
During the Second World War there was a branch of the German concentration camp Gross-Rosen (the main camp was located in Rogoźnica northwest of Strzegom).
In 1990, the first free municipal elections were held after the war. In 1997 and 2002, the city suffered extensive flooding.
City Hall and the square
The town hall's location in the middle of the square was typical of cities that originated in the Middle Ages. The square, as elsewhere, had a function as a trading place. Due to a major fire in 1774 that destroyed most of the city, the buildings at the square are no older than the transition between the 18th and 19th centuries. The fire in 1774 also destroyed the town hall and including the city's archive with valuable documents on the city's history. The current town hall was designed by architect Christian Schultz and built in 1781 in a classicist style. Since then several renovations have been made to the building.
Bwiebodzice has one of the best-preserved medieval fortifications of the Middle Ages. The preserved parts of the city wall date from the 15th century. The fortifications were later gradually expanded, so that by the end of the 18th century. included the city wall with 10 defense towers and 3 gates as well as the fortification of the castle. The city wall and towers were built of field stone and the wall was – and is – equipped with crenellations. The fortification system was increased with earthquakes and a moat. The city wall and other fortifications around the city proved to be effective, although in 1427, when the Hussites' attacks were averted, it was not always possible to defend the city. Despite several fires and the French attempt to demolish the wall in 1809, about 80% of the fort was preserved and today it is one of the most complete urban defense facilities in the country. You can consider the fragment at Piłsudski Street. The city council has adopted a plan that includes: must include reconstruction of missing fragments, after which the facility will become accessible to tourists in full.
Saint Nicholas Church
Church history begins in the 13th century. The church inaugurated by the Wroclaw Bishop in 1228 helped to develop the small settlement into an actual town. However, a major fire in the city destroyed the church to the extent that only the choir remained, whose side walls are therefore the oldest, Romanesque, part of the current church. St. Nicholas Church was rebuilt in the 15th century.
St. Peter and Paul's Church
was formerly an evangelical church, built 1776-79 in a classicist style over a cruciform floor plan.
The ruins of St. Anna's Church
in the district of Pełcznica. Of this church, only one ruin remains. It was a one-ship, round, defensive church. It dates from the transition between the 12th and the 13th years. and is thus the oldest church building in the present Świebodzice. The church was built of field stones. At the end of the 14th century. the church was converted from Romanesque to Gothic style.
French by Assisi’s Church
In the district of Ciernie is listed in the first half of the 13th year. and since – in the 15th year. – converted from Romanesque to Gothic style.
Seidel Family Mansion
Construction of the mansion began by Hugo von Kramst in 1858, but was completed by Robert Seidel in 1875. Today, the building houses a care home for disabled children run by a nun: Notre Dame Sisters. The mansion is surrounded by a protected park.
The castle in iewiebodzice no longer exists. But on the basis of certain documents as well as certain drawings of the city from the 18th century, it is shown that such a castle existed and that its history dates back to the 13th century. Today there is no trace of it – at least not above ground. Remains of foundations are likely to be found underground. The castle has probably – along with many other buildings in the city – been lost by a fire, after which the remains have been reconstructed with the neighboring houses, or the remains have completely changed their character after numerous redevelopments.
To the southwest lies the Góry Wałbrzyskie (Wałbrzych Mountains) mountain range, extending northwest (where they cross into Góry Kaczawskie) and southeast (where they cross into Góry Sowie)
The river Pełcznica runs through the city. It originates north of Wałbrzych and runs north / northeast to extend into Strzegomka east of Strzegom. The river is only 39 km long.
The impressive castle Książ (from the 13th century) is located southwest of the city. It is the third largest castle building in Poland.
Świebodzice – in Polish, English, German and Russian
Świebodzice – in Polish, English, German and Russian
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.