Regional Museum of Rogoźno. – Photo: Bogdan Andrzej Jeran
Rogoźno is located in Oborniki district, which is part of Wielkopolska County. Rogoźno is the second largest city in the district (after Oborniki). The village name comes from rogoża, which means down hammer.
The oldest traces of settlement on the site in the early Middle Ages date from the 8th-9th centuries.
In a document of 1248, Rogoźno is mentioned as the seat of a caste office. In 1280, the town was granted commercial property rights by King Przemysław II, who frequently visited Rogoźno. His last visit was in 1296, where he was murdered in this city on February 8th. The 16th and the beginning of the 17th century. marked a significant economic recovery for the city. In the years 1655-56 Rogoźno was occupied by the Swedes and plundered. An improvement in the economic situation occurred in the 18th century. At the division of Poland, Rogoźno came under Prussia, but in 1807-1815 belonged to the Principality of Warsaw. 2nd half of the 19th century. brought about new development. The city got a rail link with Poznań and Piła, a gas plant, a slaughterhouse and a mill producing mill tools were built. Several institutions and associations emerged as well as two schools of intermediate education. On January 1, 1919, the city was liberated by participants in the great Polish uprising. Rogoźno’s development within the new Poland was interrupted by World War II, which meant a tragedy for many of the city's citizens. After the war, life begins again. The now state-owned factories are functioning again: the mill tool factory and the furniture factory as early as 1945. an important factory for agricultural machinery employing 1.5 thousand people. After the system change, ie. in 1990’it was necessary to shut down both the agricultural machine factory and other factories with which Rogoźno’s industrial significance weakened significantly. However, there are still two furniture factories as well as several smaller companies, but the unemployment rate in the city is considerable.
The Regional Museum named after W.Dutkiewicz .
The museum is housed in the listed, late classicist town hall building from 1826-28 and has three departments: a historical, ethnographic and natural history department as well as permanent exhibitions.
Holy Spirit Church (Kościól pw Duchw. Ducha)
was commissioned in 1839. Until 1945 it was an evangelical church, but afterwards it passed to the Catholic congregation. The church is built in a late classicist style with a neo-Romanesque facade. The building is crowned by a small, square tower with a clock. In the windows there are mosaic tiles with representations of the Victory Christ as well as Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Near the church stands a wooden bell tower with two bells from the 19th century.
St. Vitus Church
This church is mentioned as early as 1256. In its present form, it is believed to have been erected about 1526 by the star oyster of Rogoźno, Andrzej Dołęga-Kretkowski. After a fire, the church was rebuilt in 1608 and 1668. From that time the sacristy and treasury originated. In the main ship and chancel there are star vaults, in the side ships cross vaults. In 1862 a porch was built. The neo-Gothic four-winged main altar dates from 1897, a late Baroque style altar dating from about 1700. At the church is an artificial godmother's cave and a wooden bell tower; one of the bells dates from 1613.
Place Powstańców Wielkopolskich (Square of the Great Rebels) (the old square). – Photo: Bogdan Andrzej Jeran
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.