Lot from Racibórz square
Racibórz is located in southern Poland, in the Silesian region, southwest of the Katowice area. The town is located on the river Odra.
In an old chronicle it is mentioned that the fortress Racibórz was conquered in 1108 by Prince Bolesław Krzywousty (Bolesław Skævmund). Racibórz grew into a heavily fortified city that twice withstood Tatar attacks. After periods of Czech and Austrian supremacy, the city came in the middle of the 18th century. under Prussia. At the end of World War II, the city was liberated by Soviet forces after fierce fighting with the German troops. After the fighting, the city lay in ruins; about 80% of the buildings, housing as well as public institutions and commercial buildings were destroyed. On July 8, 1997, Racibórz was hit by the largest flood in many centuries. The water in the river Odra rose to a level of 10.46 m, ie. 4.5 m above the critical water level.
The castle's buildings, originally erected in the 13th century, now belong to the District Council of Raciborz and are used for exhibitions and conferences.
The fortification of the city
The first defensive wall around the city was built in the 13th century. The length of the wall was 1.8 km and the height about 9 m. The best preserved part of the wall is found at Basztowa Street; Here also stands the former prison tower. Other preserved parts of the wall can be seen at the streets of Batorego (at the market square), Podwale, Drzymały (the longest section), Browarna and Gimnazjalna.
The Virgin Mary Pillar
which stands on the square of the old town, was created by sculptor Johann Melchior Österreich and erected in 1727 as a thank you for the city being saved from the cholera epidemic.
The Virgin Mary column in the square in Racibórz. In the background Saint James Church
Holy Spirit Church – Former Dominican Church – now a museum
The church was consecrated in 1334 as a church for the Dominican sisters. Now holds the Museum of Racibórz.
Virgin Mary's Church of the Assumption
The Gothic church dates from 1205, but has been rebuilt several times.
Virgin Mary's Ascension Church in Racibórz
St. James's Church
The church was built in 1246-1258 as a convent church for the local Dominican convent. After two rebuilds due to fires and after the demolition of the monastery buildings, in 1874 the church was rebuilt in a pseudo-Romanesque style. The church is by the square – the only old building in this place. As a result of the severe destruction in World War II, the other buildings around the square were erected after the war.
St. James's Church
The city court building was commissioned in 1826 and designed by Prussian architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel as an example of German classicism.
Racibórz – in Polish, English, German, French and Czech. – - With practical information for tourists
Racibórz – in Polish, English, German, French and Czech
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.