Ostrów Mazowiecka is located in eastern Poland, northeast of the capital Warsaw.
Ostrów Mazowiecka was founded in the 14th century. as a defense post in a troubled border area where invasions and assaults of hostile tribes from the north repeatedly occurred, especially Jot Wings and Lithuanians. A new royal estate was created in the new building and a church was built. In 1434, Ostrów Mazowiecka was recognized by Prince Boleslaw IV as a city. A flourishing period began after 1514, when the city was granted the right to hold 4 annual markets at the same time as a specific market day was fixed. King Zygmunt August (1520-1572) built a large mansion here. The division of Poland caused Ostrów Mazowiecka to be reduced to a subordinate city in Prussia. In the interwar period – in 1931 – there were almost 18 thousand inhabitants. During World War II, both Jews and other Poles in Ostrów Mazowiecka were persecuted and murdered. At the liberation in 1944 there were only approx. 10,000 people left and 60% of the city was destroyed. In 1960’Several new companies were founded and this development continued, not least after the system change, while at the same time building a much-needed detour around the center.
Virgin Mary's Church of the Assumption
The present foundation-walled church was built in the neo-Gothic style in 1885-1893.
was built in the neo-Baroque style in 1927. The building was destroyed during World War II, but has subsequently been rebuilt.
Puszcza Biała forests
The city is surrounded by forests on almost every side. The largest forest areas lie to the southwest and south. Here, the forest complex Puszcza Biała extends all the way to Pułtusk to the southwest (bounded by the large river Narew). To the south, the forest complex extends to the Bug river. From the 13th century. belonged to Puszcza Biała bishops of Płock. After the partition of Poland, the forests became Prussian state property. During the 19th century. the forests were neglected and some were lost. The first attempts to save the forest were made after 1880, and greater efforts were made in the interwar period and after World War II.
Ostrow Mazowiecka – in Polish and English
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.