Września is located in the western central part of Poland, east of the regional capital of Poznań.
The first mention of the settlement dates from 1256. The town became the market town in 1375. During the Swedish war in 1656 Września was severely destroyed.
At Poland's second division in 1793, Września came under the Kingdom of Prussia. In the second half of the 19th century. There were several industrial companies in the city, such as a shoe factory, a carpentry factory, a concrete plant, a dairy and a sugar factory. During the same period, railways were constructed from Gniezno via Września to Oleśnica as well as from Września to Poznań.
From 1901 – under international attention – a school strike took place in Września. The strike was triggered by a measure of corporal punishment for the Polish children who refused to speak German in the classroom. Back then, 118 schoolchildren went on strike. The children's parents were punished with imprisonment. This strike extended to other cities in the German part of Poland. In 1906, the student rebellion, supported by the parents, became a general strike. When the rebellion was at its peak, approx. 75,000 children covered and approx. 800 schools out of a total number of about 100.
The German rule ended with the Great Uprising 1918-1919. Following the disarmament of the German garrison on December 28, 1918, Września was incorporated into the new Poland.
In the interwar period, Września was a city characterized by trade and crafts where Poles, Jews and Germans lived together.
At the outbreak of World War II on September 1, 1939, the sugar factory was destroyed by German bombers. On September 5, the Germans bombed the important railway hub in Września. The city was taken by the Germans and incorporated into the German-created region of Wartheland (after the river Warta). Many residents were displaced.
On January 22, 1945, the city was liberated by the Soviet 1st Armored Army. After the war, a major reconstruction, expansion and modernization of the industry began, as well as repair and modernization of the communications network. At the same time, social, cultural and educational institutions were expanded.
In 1945 a large company, the speaker factory Tonsil, was established in Września. The factory operated until 2004, when it was declared bankrupt. Before then, however, several independent companies had been separated, continuing their production.
Between 1965 and 1967, Września Lake was built as a reservoir on the river Wrześnica. The lake is very elongated and extends from the outskirts of the city in a northwesterly direction. Września Lake is used for recreational purposes, including angling.
In 1914, a decision was made to build a new Volkswagen factory on the southwestern edge of Września.
Church of the Assumption of Mary
This town's parish church is mentioned as early as 1364. The current church building, however, was erected by the middle of the 15th century. The building was severely damaged during the Swedish wars, but rebuilt in 1672. Since then, the church has undergone several renovations. It is a wooden ship in the Gothic-style interior with Baroque-style interiors.
The Holy Cross’ Church
This small tree-built church dates from 1664. In the building, the choir is not separate from the rest of the church. The roofing material is roofing.
The castle in Opieszyn
The village of Opieszyn quite close to the town of Września is known since the 13th century, where the then owners of Września lived. Today, Opieszyn is just the name of a street in Września itself. By the end of the 16th century. came the city on the hands of the Działyński family. The former residence was now converted into an impressive castle. During the Swedish war in the 17th century. the castle as well as the city itself was severely destroyed. By the middle of the 18th century. built an extensive castle plant, connected to the town by a long alley, flanked by trees. The castle, as it seems today, was built around 1870 by Count Edward Poniński. The castle was – and is – built by an extensive landscape park. In addition to the main building, there was a more secluded side wing. Originally, the castle was separated from the park by a moat. Later, several economy buildings were added. The castle contained many valuable works of art and a library of approx. 4,500 volumes. A large part of the artworks were stolen by the occupying forces during World War II and brought to Germany. By a fire during the war, all books in the library were destroyed. After the war, until 1994, the castle was used as an agricultural school. Today there is a restaurant in the main building. The castle park is today a city park, which to the southwest adjoins the Wrześnica River.
The town hall building – located near the town square – was built in neo-Gothic style in 1909-1910, it was renovated in 1922 and is still the seat of the city and municipality administration.
Memorial to the school strike in 1901-1902
erected in memory of them “heroic children from Września who defended the Polish language during the school strike in 1901-1902”. (See more about this above below “History”).
- see above “History”.
Powiat Wrzesiński – with practical information for tourists
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.