Warning: Undefined array key 409 in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/index.php on line 807 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 200 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 201 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 202 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 203 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 204 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingdisabled in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 225 Warning: Undefined variable $ratingtekst in /customers/b/c/8/spangshus.dk/httpd.www/poland/_func.php on line 227
Today, Warsaw has all the amenities for tourists that belong to a modern metropolis: theaters, concerts, entertainment, museums, large business districts, green spaces and restaurants and cafes to every taste.
One should finally visit the Old City, which has been carefully restored after the devastation of the war; one relaxes in the square and in the cozy little streets with many eateries. The Old Town also includes the Royal Palace and the Barbakan Fortress.
Also visit the Łazienki Park with the Chopin monument.
Very impressive is the castle of Wilanów on the outskirts of town; The castle was originally a royal residence, now it is a museum.
The most central point in modern Warsaw is the junction where the streets of Marszałkowska and Aleje Jerozolimskie meet. From here, central Warsaw extends east to the Wisła River, west to Okopowa and Towarowa Streets, south to Trasa Łazienkowska and north to Słomiński Street.
Place Zbawiciela with Kościół Zbawiciela (Church of the Savior). The square is located on Marszałkowska Street, one of the central main streets
Place Konstytucji (Constitution Square) and Marszałkowska Street
Trasa W – Z (East-West route) was built after World War II. The road connects the district of Praga east of the river with the district of Wola west of the center. A tunnel leads the way below Miodowa Street and Plac Zamkowy. The ąląsko-Dąbrowski Bridge leads the way over Wisła. This bridge was built instead of a bridge that was destroyed during the war in 1944. Trasa W – Z was inaugurated in 1949.
Trasa WZ (Aleje Solidarności) seen east from the Castle Square (Plac Zamkowy)
East of the central point: Marszałkowska-Jerozolimskie is the oldest part of central Warsaw with, among other things, The old Town. However, much of the other urban area to the east has only been partially rebuilt after the total destruction during World War II. Here, the cityscape is dominated by tall office buildings and multi-storey residential construction. In this area, business life is concentrated, and there are theaters, concert halls, cinemas, restaurants and cafés.
Palace of culture
The Palace of Culture (really: Palace of Culture and Science: Pałac Kultury in Nauki) is located on the large Defilad square, which is set on the ruins of several central streets; The Palace of Culture was built in the years 1952-1955 and is a gift from the Soviet Union to the city of Warsaw. Russian architects designed the building in a social-realist style and thus have a silhouette that gives clear memories of similar buildings in Moscow. Inside you can admire the monumental stairs, the marble clad walls, the beautiful mirrors and crystal chandeliers. The palace is a skyscraper with a height of 243 meters incl. germinated. There are 3288 rooms in the building. scientific institutions, government offices, museums, theaters and cinemas; the building also houses several exhibition halls. Every year in May, the International Book Fair is held here. The main entrance faces the Marszałkowska street. Tourists wishing to see the view of Warsaw from the 30th floor of the Culture Palace can use the lift (for a fee). Due to the height and visibility of the building at a long distance, the Palace of Culture is a good sight mark when you want to orientate yourself towards Warsaw at a distance’s center.
Palace of culture
At ul. Marszałkowska, to the east of the Palace of Culture, is the large trade center called “eastwall” (Ianaciana Wschodnia).
The northern part of Marszałkowska Street seen to the south. TV. see ya “eastwall”. Th. Place Defilad with the Palace of Culture
South of the Palace of Culture, in the direction of Aleje Jerozolimskie, there are two railway stations: Warsaw Centralna, from which there are connections to all of Poland and abroad, and Warsaw Śródmieście, from which there are connections to stations in the metropolitan area.
The Philharmonia Narodowa, the building of the National Philharmonic Orchestra, is behind “eastwall” on H.Sienkiewicz street. The building has a main hall with seating for 1000 people and a small hall (entrance from ul. S. Moniuszki) with 400 seats. Since 1927, Chopin Competitions are held here every five years and from 1956 the International Festival of Modern Music: Warszawska Jesień (Warsaw Autumn).
Ul. Świętokrzyska seen from Marszałkowska junction to the west
Theater Wielki and the surrounding sights:
Theater Wielki (full name: Teatr Wielki Opery in Baletu: The Great Theater for Opera and Ballet) stands at the Theater Square (Plac Teatralny), between Bank Square to the west and Castle Square to the northeast. The theater's monumental, classicist building emerged in the years 1825-33, designed by A.Corazzi. There is an opera hall with seating for 1900 spectators. In front of the theater are the memorials for Wojciech Bogusławski and Stanisław Moniuszko. Wojciech Bogusławski was an actor, playwright and founder of theaters in Warsaw, Poznań, Wilno and Lwów; he is called “the father of the Polish theater”. Stanisław Moniuszko was a composer and creator of the Polish National Opera; among his best known operas are “Halka” and “Straszny Dwór”. The theater was bombed in September 1939. During the Warsaw uprising, the building's ruins were the setting for an execution site in which the Germans shot captured civilians. After the devastation of the war, the theater was rebuilt under the direction of architect Bohdan Pniewski and inaugurated in 1965.
The Jabłonowski Palace (Pałac Jabłonowskich), the old town hall building stands on the opposite side of the Theater Square facing the theater. Until the end of World War II, the building was the seat of the city's municipal authorities, but it was destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising. The building was rebuilt in 1990’and now houses a banking center.
Jabłonowski Palace (Photo: Jakob Hoffmann)
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Grób Nieznanego Żołnierza) is found behind the Great Theater, at the entrance to the Saxon Garden (Ogród Saski). During an arcade, between the columns left by the former Saxon palace (Pałac Saski), a tradition was commenced in 1925 to honor the memory of the Polish soldiers who fell in the struggle for Poland's freedom. The tomb contains urns with soil from the battlefields of World War I and World War II. Every Sunday at. 12, there is a solemn change of guard between soldiers from an honorary company under the Polish army.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Photo: Jakob Hoffmann)
Józef Piłsudski Memorial: Piłsudski was a marshal and leader of the Polish army units, the legions created during World War I to regain Poland's independence. He was a charismatic politician who became Poland's prominent leader during the interwar period.
The Saxon Garden (Ogród Saski) is a park that extends from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to Marszałkowska Street. The park was originally designed by French and Saxon architects, but in the mid-19th century. transformed into a landscape park. The Saxon Garden was the first public park in Warsaw and opened to the public in 1727.
From the Saxon Garden. In the background is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Photo: Jakob Hoffmann)
The Zachęta Gallery is located at Małachowski Square, south of the Great Theater. It is an eclectic building, designed by St.Szyller, erected at the beginning of the 20th century. for the Zachęta Society for the Fine Arts. In Zachęta you can see interesting exhibitions of modern art, both Polish and foreign.
The Trinity Church (Kościół Św. Trójcy), the church of the Evangelical-Augsburg congregation, is located at Małachowski Square, next to the Zachęta Gallery, and was built in 1777-79. The church was rebuilt after the devastation of the last war and has, for a number of years, alongside the ecclesiastical functions, played an important role in the cultural life of the city. Due to the good acoustics in the building, concerts with classical music are held here.
The bank square and the surrounding sights:
The Bank Square (Plac Bankowy) bore from World War II until 1990’is the name Plac F.Dzierżyńskiego and was adorned with a huge statue of Feliks Dzierżyński, who was an active participant in the October Revolution and later the dreaded leader of the USSR in the years until 1926. Aleja Solidarności.
City Hall: After the post-war reconstruction, the city authorities took over some buildings on the west side of Bank Square. The 3 buildings were originally built in the early 19th century. (designed by Antoni Corazzi) for use respectively. the Polish Bank and Stock Exchange, the Ministry of Finance and the Government Commission on State Revenue and Property.
The Mostowski Palace (Pałac Mostowskich) can be seen from the Bank Square in a northerly direction, on the other side of Aleja Solidarności. The palace was first built in the 2nd half of the 18th century, in a classicist style, but rebuilt in 1823. After that year, the building became the seat of the capital's police, a function it still has.
Krasiński Square and surrounding area:
Krasiński Square (Plac Krasińskich) is located west of Nowe Miasto and northeast of Mostowski Palace.
The Krasiński Palace (Pałac Krasińskich) is a Baroque palace, built by the genus Krasiński in the late 17th century. The Polish state bought the mansion in the middle of the 18th century. for use by the State Administration. Today, the building houses special collections from the National Library.
The Krasiński Park (Ogród Krasińskich) dates from the time surrounding the construction of the mansion. As the mansion turned into state property, the park became available to all Warsaw residents.
The Supreme Court (Sąd Najwyższy), whose new building complex was commissioned just after the year 2000, is located on Krasiński Square.
Supreme Court building on Krasiński Square
The Warsaw Uprising Monument stands on Krasiński Square near the intersection where the streets of Długa and Miodowa meet – right in front of the Supreme Court building. The monument portrays some situations of the uprising in a very realistic way – as if the persons had been stiffened in the middle of a movement: partly some rebels descending into the sewers (to flee the road), and other Warsaw residents fighting among the ruins. The memorial, designed by W.Kuźma and J.Budyn, was unveiled on August 1, 1989, on the 45th anniversary of the outbreak of the uprising against the Germans.
Monument to the Warsaw Uprising (Pomnik Powstania Warszawskiego). Just behind the monument is the Supreme Court building (Photo: Jakob Hoffmann)
Kościół MB Królowej Polski is the cathedral of the Polish army (garrison church). This Baroque-style church was originally built in 1642. It stands on ul. Długa at Krasiński Square.
Garrison Church at ul. Długa
The Memorial to the Fallen and Murdered in the East stands at the junction Bonifraterska / Konwiktorska, not far from Krasiński Square. The memorial, due to the sculptor Maksymilian Biskupski, was unveiled on September 17, 1995, on the 56th anniversary of the Soviet attack on Poland.
Krasiński Square with the Krasiński Palace on the left and the Supreme Court building on the right
Ghetto Memorial’one's Heroes (Pomnik Bohaterów Getta) stands on the square of the same name in the district of Muranów. The memorial stands at the site of the first fighting during the Warsaw ghetto uprising’one took place, and was performed in 1948 after drawing by Natan Rappaport. Around the Jewish ghetto, a wall had been built, and from November 1940 all Jews in Warsaw were closed behind the wall. There was an armed uprising in the ghetto’one on April 19, 1943. After the rebellion, the ghetto became’one torn down by the Germans.
The impressive “Intraco“skyscraper at ul. Stawki
The National Museum (Muzeum Narodowe) is located in a building by Aleje Jerozolimskie, just off the Poniatowski Bridge. The current museum building was built in the years 1926-1938, but the museum itself has existed since 1862. Here you will find collections of art from classical cultures (Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Roman art) and from the Middle Ages as well as galleries with paintings by European artists (especially Italian, Dutch and Flemish). There are also large collections of 19th-century Polish painting (Jan Matejko, Stanisław Wyspiański, Wojciech Gerson, brothers Aleksander and Maksymilian Gierymski, Józef Chełmoński, Leon Wyczółkowski, Jacek Malczewski, Władysław Podkowiński, Władysław Podkowiński , Tadeusz Kantor).
The Museum of the Polish Army (Muzeum Wojska Polskiego) is located next to the National Museum. The museum was founded in 1920 and is the largest museum in Poland with military collections.
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.