Chojnów is located on the river Skora, west of the larger town of Legnica, in the Lower Silesian county.
Archaeological traces of settlements dating to the early Middle Ages between the 6th and 12th years have been found on the city's territory. street lead. The unusually long square also dates from that time. At the beginning of the 14th century. the construction of a defensive wall around the city began. In the later Middle Ages, the city's craftsmanship was characterized by weaving crafts and dressmaking. The local sheep breeders supplied the raw materials for the clothing factory. A major fire in connection with the Hussite forces' attack on the city in 1428 and a subsequent massacre of the population put a stop to the city's development for many years. But it rose again and in the 16th century. Chojnów was once again a rich urban community.
A catastrophic flood hit the city in 1804, and at the same time Chojnów was ravaged by Napoleon's army forces as they passed through the city. In the second half of the 19th century. industrialization spread in Silesia. In Chojnów, among others, a sugar factory, a glove factory, a paper mill and a company that manufactured tin products. Sewerage was also carried out and a municipal gas plant was erected. Later – but only in 1912 – an electrification followed.
At the end of World War II, Chojnów was affected by the consequences of war actions. The city was liberated by the Soviet army in February 1945. After that, the reconstruction of the destroyed city began.
St. Peter and St. Paul's Church (Kościół parafialny pw. Św. Apostołów Piotra i Pawła)
The Parish Church, St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, from the 14th to 15th centuries. is located on the square. The church was built in the Gothic style in the years 1390-1468. In 1400, one altar was built. The church bell was cast in 1405. The church is a brick, three-tiered building whose floor plan forms a Latin cross. The choir has a pentagonal ending. On the north side is a porch, built at the same time as the church, as well as a sacristy. The church's equipment includes the Baroque baptismal font from 1660 with a tin baptismal tin. A new pulpit was made in 1671. In the years after 1670, the main altar was erected in the choir, which was restored in 2006.
St. Peter and Paul's Church in Chojnów
Borgen (now museum), 16-17th. (Zamek Piastów Legnicko-Brzeskich)
The castle was originally built in the 13th century. At the beginning of the 15th century. was the residence of first Henryk X of Lubin, Chojnów, Brzeg and Złotoryja. In 1428 the castle was destroyed by the Hussites. Subsequently it was rebuilt from 1546, now in the Renaissance style. After a fire in 1767 most of the castle was demolished; only the northwestern wing stood, diminished by one floor. The building has over the years been a lazar, a Catholic school and a seat for the city administration and the city court. In 1933 the building was designed for a museum. In the years 1990-95 archaeological investigations were carried out in the area of the castle. Remains of three towers (from the 13th, 14th and 16th centuries), remains of the ring wall and a well have been uncovered.
A mansion from the 18th century.
at ul. Piotrowicka. The two-story mansion was built in 1730 in the late Baroque style and restored in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Bymuren (Mury sources)
Chojnów citizens' safety in the Middle Ages was ensured by the construction of a city wall in the first half of the 14th century. The wall was reinforced by brick towers and protected by a deep, water-filled, moat. The city was accessed through two gates: Brama Górna (upper gate) or Brama Bolesławiecka as well as Brama Dolna (lower gate) or Brama Legnicka. The castle, which was built with the city wall, defended the city from its location in the southwest corner of the urban area. The fortification of the city was demolished in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the same fate hit the two old city gates. Preserved to this day are only a few remains of the former ring wall; the most attractive part of the city wall is preserved in the northwest corner of the old city, but only at half the original height.
Weaver Tower (Baszta Tkaczy)
The Gothic fortress tower, called “Weaver Tower”, was originally listed in the 15th century. and was tasked with defending the northern stretch of the city wall. The name is due to the weavers, of whom there were many in this part of the city, who were obliged to constitute the crew of the tower in the event of an attack. The tower is brick built over a square floor plan; in the 16th century. it was fitted with a Renaissance-style attic. The tower has since undergone a lot of renovations and redevelopments. In a renovation in 1905-06, the broken, octagonal superstructure of the timber frame was removed and replaced with a new one. In the interior, floor separations were built as well as a staircase. After the renovation, the tower was converted into a museum which opened in 1908. The height of the tower from level to attic’one is 15 m. On the east side of the tower you can see markings of the former city wall with weights and a chest. The markings show the height of the wall as 5.5 m and the width as 1.9 m.
Schram's House (Dom Schrama)
This is the only preserved older house on the square. The building is in the Renaissance style from 1544, erected by Hans Schram; later renovations and renovations have been carried out, most recently a renovation in 1976-77. Since 1997 the house is owned by the municipality of Chojnów.
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.