Kędzierzyn-Koźle is located in the eastern part of Opole County, on the river Odra.
Today (since 1975) Kędzierzyn-Koźle is an administrative unit of the cities of Koźle, Kędzierzyn, Kłodnica and Sławięcice. Koźle is located on the west side of Odra, while Kędzierzyn and the other boroughs are east of the river. The city of Koźle is used as a weapon for the united urban society – today a modern industrial city’s medieval weapons that make 3 goat heads (“Kozle” means “kids”).
The nearest airport is at Katowice at a distance of 70 km.
The nearest border crossing to the Czech Republic is at Pietrowice Głubczyckie at a distance of 55 km.
It's about. 18 km north to the west-east A4 motorway.
Highway 40 from the west (from Głuchołazy and Prudnik) passes through Koźle, passes on a bridge over Odra and continues through Kędzierzyn in the direction of the Katowice area.
The history of the urban community is first and foremost linked to the city of Koźle’s development and destiny. The site was first mentioned in 1108, when the Polish prince Bolesław Krzywousty’s knights defended the fort at Koźle against attacks by the Moravians. The city probably got market town rights in 1281. At the same time, the urban communities on the eastern side of Odra, first Sławięcice, who also gained market town rights at one point in the 13th century, developed. It is also found in the 13th century. mention of the Kędzierzyn and Kłodnica sites. In 1281, the territory of the present city became part of the Principality of Koźle-Bytom, which soon became a county under the Czech king, and as such came in 1526 under Austria. In 1741 the area was conquered by the Prussian army. From 1743 the Prussian administration began to expand the fortress in Koźle, which was built by the Austrians. The favorable location of the towns was further improved by the construction of the Kłodnica Canal (1792-1812). The beginning of the 19th century brought the city of Koźle some destruction in connection with the siege during the Franco-Prussian war in 1807. Despite significant losses, the fortress resisted the siege.
In 1845, the railway line between Opole and Gliwice was opened. Then Kędzierzyn began’s importance to grow because of the railway station that was located here. After the demolition of the fortress in Koźle in 1873, the business development of this town gained a push forward. Between 1891 and 1908, the port of Koźle and several industrial companies were built.
In the years 1935-39 the Gliwice Canal was built as an extension of the old Kłodnica Canal. The canal has a length of 40 km and a level difference of 43 m. To overcome this difference, sailing is regulated by 6 locks.
After the liberation at the end of World War II, the city government was taken over by Polish authorities between March and April 1945. The destroyed German chemical plants were replaced by similar Polish and supplemented by several companies. The city of Kędzierzyn was granted commercial property rights in 1951, Kłodnica and Sławięcice in 1973.
Church of Saint Catherine. – Photo by: I, Pimke, Kościół pw. św. Katarzyny Aleksandryjskiej w Kędzierzynie-Koźlu1, CC BY-SA 3.0
The remains of the castle in Koźle. They are located in the southwestern part of the old town on a small, artificial elevation. The castle was erected at the transition between the 13th and 14th years. Parts of the masonry and a fortress tower are preserved; moreover, other parts have been reconstructed.
- in Koźle was originally listed in the 18th century. of the Austrians, since expanded by the Prussians. Significant parts have been preserved, especially the fortification of Odra’s left river bank. The violence and the moat were preserved to this day but now as a park / green area in the city.
The old Kłodnica canal, built between 1792 and 1812, one of the oldest navigable canals in Europe. The section through Kędzierzyn-Koźle is among the best preserved.
Castle and Park facility in Sławięcice
St. Zygmunt and St. Jadwiga Church in Koźle
- mentioned in 1295, expanded in the 15th year. It is a three-ship Gothic-style church.
The port facility in Koźle
- built in stages in the years 1891-1908. The harbor includes three basins. Parts of the plant and equipment have remained unchanged to this day. An interesting building is the Port Master's House.
- expanded in 1830 with original elements from 1812. Renovated after the flooding in 1997.
KZ camp in Sławięcice
The camp was a branch of Auschwitz (Oświęcim). Preserved is the crematorium building.
The area is characterized by the Odra river valley; To the east and southeast extends the large forest area of Lasy Raciborskie (Racibórz Forest).
Further east, the town of Gliwice marks the beginning Katowice Area .
Just between the two boroughs (Koźle and Kędzierzyn) the river Kłodnica has its outlet in Odra.
Ca. 3 km further north, the Gliwice canal runs into Odra. The canal is open for sailing throughout its length between March and December.
Biały Ług at Kędzierzyn-Koźle. – Photo by: Lukasz Szmigiel on Unsplash
Kędzierzyn-Koźle (in Polish and English). Here also practical information for tourists.
Kędzierzyn-Koźle (in Polish and English)
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.