Dąbrowa Górnicza is located on the eastern outskirts of the Katowice area in southern Poland, northeast of Katowice town. Much of the urban area is covered with forest. (The town's name, Dąbrowa, comes from “baptism“that means “oak”. surnamed “Górnicza” derived from “górnictwo“that means “mining”)
The first mention of a place called Dąbrowa dates from 1726. Other sites in the area now known as Dąbrowa Górnicza, however, have a history that goes back further, in some cases back to the Middle Ages.
In 1785, the first coal deposits were discovered under the area now covered by Park Hallera. In 1796 the first coal mining mine was opened at this place; mine's name was “Nest”. In 1916, the village of Dąbrowa was recognized as an independent city with its own city government.
The Basilica of the Angelic Mother of God
from 1898 is a three-ship church with two crossbars and three towers. The main tower is 83.5 m high and is thus a dominant element of the city and the countryside.
Zagłębie Palace of Culture in Dąbrowa Górnicza (Pałac Kultury Zagłębia)
was opened in 1958.
The city's water park: “Nemo – Wodny Świat” is a major plant of this type in the Silesian County.
Immediately north of the urban area is a vast complex of lakes: the Pogoria lakes; there are four lakes in total. Here are all the opportunities for swimming, boating and other water sports.
Translated into English by Google Translate. Spangshus.dk accept no liability for any errors or omissions in translation.